I was inspired in part by a ring I saw a while ago that featured a fabric-covered cabochon, which I thought looked cute!
Since I had a whole bunch of plastic skull rings left over from Halloween last year, I decided to try and use some of them too.
I didn’t want to make something too blatantly Halloween-themed or horror-themed and I wanted something I could wear outside of the Halloween season too, so I decided to make the necklace shiny!
Here’s an easy-peasy tutorial:
Scrap of fabric
Plastic skull ring or similar
Cabochon pendant setting
Cabochon to fit setting
Jump ring (optional)*
Wire cutters (optional)
1. Spread glue over the front of the cabochon and leave it to go tacky
2. Stick your fabric over the front of the cabochon, ensuring there are no large folds. Trim around the edges so you have around 5-10mm to fold over the back.
3. Spread a thin layer of glue around the edge of the cabochon back and again allow it to go tacky before sticking the edges of the fabric down.
4. Glue onto the cabochon setting. Depending on the instructions with the glue you used, you may have to add glue to the back of the cabochon as well.
5. Once glue is tacky (lots of tackiness going on in this tute!) stick cabochon into the setting.
6. Cut the back off of a skull-shaped party ring using wire cutters. Spray paint the front and sides.
7. After the spray paint has dried thoroughly - I left mine to dry overnight - glue to the bottom part of the cabochon.
8. If necessary, add a jump ring to the top of the cabochon setting to use as a bail.
9. Cut chain to length, thread on the pendant, and add a clasp to the ends of the chain. Alternatively, thread the pendant on a length of ribbon or cord. I totally cheated here and used an existing chain necklace. :)
10. You’re done! Wear your pendant with pride (or a little spookiness, if that’s what floats your boat!)
This is a nice little project for using up some smaller scraps and leftovers from other projects.
Both the cabochon setting and the cabochon were faulty--the setting wasn’t quite the 18x25mm it was advertised as (which didn’t show up as much once I covered the cabochon) and the cabochon had a couple of scratches on the back, which rendered it pretty much useless for projects like my map pendants.
The fabric I used was one of the samples that I wrote about ages ago and of course the skull ring was left over from Halloween...so this project was basically free!
Will be linking up at the link parties listed at the bottom of the page :)