My sewing machine has been wearing the same plastic cover since I first got it and over the past year or so the cover has split and ripped around the handle, to the point where it was less a cover and more a scarf!
After finishing a couple of little sewing projects today, I decided I couldn’t put up with such a knackered old cover any longer. A few hours later, I had this:
This project has been on my To Do List for ages. At first I was going to make a simple, plain cover, with bias binding around the edges because I didn’t want to hem.
Then I remembered the section on free motion machine embroidery that I saw on Kirstie’s Homemade Home and - based on what I remembered - decided to give it a go!
Not bad for a first try, right?
To construct the machine cover itself, I simply cut the original cover at the seams and used it as a pattern.
I used fabrics and bias binding left over from previous projects (I always end up over-buying!)
As I was putting my sewing materials away, my eyes alighted on the pile of papers (manual, guarantee etc) that came with the machine. It normally lives on the floor, underneath the sewing machine, which isn’t exactly ideal!
Out came the scissors and cotton again, and I added a little pocket onto the back of the cover to store the documents:
Considering I’ve never tried anything like this before, I’m pleased with how it turned out!
As for the projects I was working on beforehand, check out these pincushions made from leftover and recycled fabrics:
I’ll be posting about these soon, so please keep watching!