I finished it at the weekend. This is what it looks like now:
3. This is how the new skirt of the dress looked after resewing the seams. I used the top part of the original skirt to preserve the gathering.
4. The bodice was probably the most ham-fisted part of my refashioning adventure. To get the shape, I basically drew around the bodice of my pink refashioned dress, which I wrote about forever ago. I played with this shape to get a contrasting section down the front of the bodice, then sewed it all together. Afterattaching to the skirt, I added the original zip from the dress.
5. I added some facing (is that what it's called??) inside the top of the dress and made some straps, all with leftover scraps from the original skirt.
6. A few minutes careful hemming, and I was nearly done...
7. To finish off, I added a length of ribbon to the zip pull, to make it easier to do up. I also sewed on a hook and eye at the top as the zip is a little bit 'slippy'.
And that's that! Admittedly the bodice of this dress doesn't have the most amazing fit, but I'm still pleased with how it turned out, considering I kind of guessed my way around it. This dress is really comfotable for the warm weather we're having!
This has been on my to do list since I bought this dress last year. It wasn't until I saw Channel 4's vintage fashion series, This Old Thing, that I felt the motivation to start hacking away at the original dress. Yay that series!
I did this refashion as part of one of my goals on Doing A Thing!