Thursday 9 February 2012

Fake Fur Heart Cushion

Is everyone ready for Valentines Day?
I have another Valentines-worthy craft to share with you today! 


This furry heart cushion was put together in a morning, using leftover fabrics and trim.
I previously used the dark gold fabric for my jewellery display board and also on a skirt--talk about multi-functional! 

 
I chose the colours for my cushion to match my room, but this would look great with different colours and patterns, too!

Here’s an easy tutorial if you want to make your own heart cushion!


You’ll need:
Cushion pad
Fabric for cushion base
Fake fur for heart
Heart template
Trim (enough to go around the heart)
Glue (optional)
Thread to match your fabric(s)

Tools:
Sewing machine/needle and thread
Scissors
Pinking shears (optional)
Ruler
Measuring tape
Marking chalk or pencil



1. Measure your cushion pad and add seam allowance.
Cut two pieces of fabric:
  • 1 x your cushion measurement (e.g. 15”x15”) for the back.
  • 1 x your cushion measurement with half that added on one side (e.g. 15”x22.5”) for the back flap and front. It helps to draw out the original measurement and then add on the extra half-width as it gives you a line to work with in step 2!


2. Fold the back flap over onto the front of the fabric and crease. This will make it easier to attach the heart centrally to the front of the cushion.



3. Draw around your heart template onto the back of the fake fur and cut out.
            Tip: Use small snips of the scissors and cut only through the back of the fur to avoid having lots of loose fibres everywhere!



4. Attach the heart to the centre of the cushion. I took the lazy route and glued it, but hand-stitching is just as good. (The great thing with fake fur is that it doesn’t need hemming!)

If you pick the same option as me, leave the glue to dry before moving to the next step! Don’t get gluey fingers like I did!



5. Pin the trim around the edge of the heart and sew. To avoid sewing through the fake fur, brush the fibres back with your fingertips as you go.



6. Hem the end of the back flap and one edge of the back piece of fabric, for the opening. I didn’t hem the back piece on mine because I used the edge of the fabric, which had already been finished.



7. Right side facing up, fold the back flap down over the front of the cushion. Lay the back piece of fabric (hemmed edge at the top, overlapping the back flap) over the top.



8. Pin the bottom and sides, then sew. Since my fabric frays a lot, I used pinking shears to finish off the seams!



9. Turn the cushion cover the right way, using a pencil to turn the corners. You should have a neat little envelope opening at the back. Stuff in your cushion pad, and you’re done!



10. Enjoy alone, or with cushiony friends :)

Will be linking up to the fabulous parties at the bottom of the page!
Will also link up at this brand spanking new linky party for tutorials!
A Law Student's Journey

3 comments:

  1. I don't normally love Valentine's Day but your heart pillow could get me in the mood. I also love that you were able to use that awesome gold fabric for a completely different project. Thanks so much for sharing at our Link It Up Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Purple is my fav color! Would love it if you came by and linked up to my Manic Monday Linky Party!
    -Melissa
    http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillow is so extravagant. I love your style!

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...