Friday 8 July 2011

Tutorial: Buttons & Beads Bib Necklace

Recently I am really digging the combination of blue and gold! I decided that the quickest way to get these colours into my (mostly black) wardrobe was through jewellery.
So I sat down and made this buttons and beads bib necklace:


Bib necklaces like this are pretty easy to make, but they’re really darn time-consuming!
However, I think the eye-catching quality of the necklace completely makes up for the time it takes to make. I wore mine today and received so many compliments!

Here’s how to make a bib necklace of your own.


Time needed: 3-4 hours

You’ll need:
Fabric
Felt
1 m ribbon
Buttons
Trim
Beads (two sizes)
Needle & thread
Multipurpose glue



1. Cut a crescent shape from the felt for the backing, of the size you want the finished necklace. Use this as a template and cut out a piece of fabric the same size plus approximately 1cm seam allowance.



2. Hem the fabric and sew 50cm ribbon to each side. It doesn’t matter if your stitching isn’t perfect (mine certainly isn’t!)



3. Sew or glue trim around the edge. I picked the lazy option and glued it on.



4. To make the rosettes:
  • Cut a strip of fabric the width you want your rosette to be
  • Fold it in half
  • Gather using a running stitch along the cut edges
  • Tie the ends together to form the rosette shape and trim off any trailing threads
 


5. Sew or glue on your buttons and rosettes. (I glued the rosettes and sewed the buttons.)



6. Fill in the gaps with beads.



7. Glue the felt shape onto the back of the necklace.


8. Go out and enjoy all the compliments you’re going to get on your gorgeous new statement necklace!


Here’s another that I made previously. I used a different shape and along with buttons and beads I embellished with flower motifs and googly eyes!


Going to be linking up at the fabulous link parties in my sidebar! Also:




Strut Your Stuff Saturday @ Six Sister's Stuff
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ {nifty thrifty things}
Tuesday Time Out @ Reasons To Skip The Housework
The Inspiration Board @ Homework
Tuesday To Do Party @ The Blackberry Vine

6 comments:

  1. So fun! I love the fabric, the flowers, the beads, the color . . . everything! Thanks for sharing!! I am your newest follower and I would love to have you come over and link this up to our Link Party going on this weekend- and every link counts as an entry in our giveaway!
    http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-1.html
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! What a super cute way to make a necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this very unique! Now google following you, please pop by, Karima x
    www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to know! I've been wanting to make one of these for awhile! Thanks for sharing. Stay tuned on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kei!
    Thanks so much for linking up your gorgeous bib necklace & tute last week. It look fantastic. I'm behind commenting on everyone's link up because on some technical difficulties...think they're worked out now!!! Would love for you to come back again!
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this necklace! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a thoughtful comment! Hope to see you for Social Saturdays!

    Jamie
    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...